Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Out of Control Kids

Out of Control Kids

An increasingly high number of children are being labeled as "out of control." Once simple, discipline is now taking a new turn.  Dealing with new disorders can be hard on parents, teachers, and principals.  But how much is too much? And when it comes to discipline, how far is too far?  In the new recently, there have been reports of children being arrested, yes arrested!  Is that really necessary?  Well, you'll be the judge of that one today.  Check out the videos and links below.  After watching and reading, answer the discussion questions that follow.



















Another six-year old was arrested about a month before hand.  Click here to read the CBS News article about the arrest of the young girl in Georgia

Some of these are completely outrageous!   If you think that is bad, watch this next video.  Police arrested 3 9-year old girls and an 8- year old boy.



But wait....there's more!  Click here to read about kids your own age who were arrested for things as minor as dropping food in the cafeteria and not cleaning it up properly!


Discussion Questions: 

Answer the following questions thoroughly and completely.  Make sure that you proofread your answers BEFORE you submit your response.  (Errors will be counted.)
1. Do you feel that the arrests that were made in these cases were fair or not?  Explain Why or Why not.

2. How would you react if you were arrested or ticketed for a simple mistake made in school like burping or drawing on a desk? How would your parents react?

3. What would happen if our school began to operate in this manner? Would it help or hurt our school community?  What about the school district as a whole? Would it be better or worse?

20 comments:

  1. Anna P.

    I think that in the first video the kid should not have been arrested. Yes, it was bad what they did but they should have just been in trouble with the school and there parent, the police didn't need to get in it. The second video defiantly the kids shouldn't have been arrested. They did nothing wrong. A lot of teachers and principal's these days are taking discipline too seriousley. If I was arrested/ticketed for burping well I would have many tickets to pay. It's not fair for kids to get in trouble for one mistake. I would be furious and angry at our school. Not only would the kids be upset the parents would get involved. If my Mom or Dad found out i was fined for burping in class I would yes get in trouble but they would give me the right discipline. Lastly if our school started doing that I wouldn't want to go to Spring Branch anymore. I would do anything it took to leave. I think our punishment should be a little more strict but not that strict. The district and community is fine the way it is now. Yes there should be a few punishments here and there but not going to jail. If anything it would make everything worse. It's hard to believe that schools are actually doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie B.
    I don't think the arrests were fair at all because the kids, especially the older ones, were arrested for doing nothing wrong. If I were arrested for burping or drawing on a desk in school, I would react by freaking out and refusing to go back to school for fear of getting arrested again. My parents would probably do the same and move out of the city to a hopefully more sensible school. If SBMS began to operate in this manner, some students would most likely change schools while others would try to rebel to show that they don't approve of the new rules. It would definitely hurt the school community by giving SBMS a bad reputation. It would also give the district a bad name, and everything would be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the arrests made in these cases were completely unfair. Most of them were for little children, who don't know any better. The arrests on the kids who dropped food in the cafeteria are just COMPLETELY UNFAIR!!!! If I was arrested for something as innocent as burping or drawing on a desk, I would at first not believe it. When it would sink in that I was actually being arrested, I would be mad that I was getting in so much trouble for something so innocent! My parents wouldn't be mad, they would be more with the sanity of the person arresting me.if our school began to operate in that strict of a manner, I think everyone would be arrested at some point. It would definitely hurt our school because having a bunch of innocent kids getting arrested never helped anyone. Sure, the whole school district might be a little more in line, but really, everyone would just be scared. It would definitely be worse if we adopted this change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica H.

    I think the arrests made in these cases were fair because the students did harm teachers and others. If it had been minor, it would have been unfair. The fact that the kids were so young made it unfair though.

    If I were arrested or ticketed for a simple mistake I made in class, I would be very upset. I wouldn't understand why I got punishment for doing something that wasn't harming anything. My parents would probably be disappointed with the school district for allowing such a simple thing get severe punishment.

    If our school operated in this manner, the community would be hurt because more kids would be arrested and the parents would be mad. The schools would probably lose students. The district would become known as a bad school district. The kids and parents would end up getting mad at the district and someone eventually would sue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimmy C.
    1. No, I think that these arrests were not fair. The authorities arrested little kids and handcuffed them as if they were criminals who had just murdered someone! What the kids did was wrong, but they didn’t deserve to be arrested. I feel terrible for these little kids. Imagine their reaction when they realized they were being handcuffed like criminals. I wouldn’t feel as bad if it was a teenager who had done this but little kids, seriously?
    2.If I got arrested/ticketed for a simple mistake I would be very mad. It was an accident and teenagers make mistakes every once in a while. I think my parent’s would be disappointed because I was arrested/ticketed, but furious since it was a simple mistake like burping out loud in class.
    3.If our school began to operate like this it would be horrific! This would hurt our school community because many students would get arrested for simple things. If this were to happen to our school district as a whole it would be TERRIBLE! Imagine the hundreds of kids getting arrested every day for minor things that have no importance! This would just give our school district a very bad reputation and many people will think we are criminals when in reality we are not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noah L. I think the arrests in these cases were completely unfair.I think this because these are just young kids. Why not put them in a anger management class or something? I think the principles and police were over-reacting. If I got arrested for a stupid thing like burping I would be so mad and confused. My parents would be very mad and file complaints about the police and head of the school I think. Our school would be horrible if it reacted like this. It would hurt our school community. It would make the school district look really bad. It would be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connor P.

    I think that it is totally unnecessary to arrest little kids under the age of 10. I mean they don't no any better most of the time. And also isn't it the parents job to make sure that their child is not doing the wrong things, not the police's. It is totally wrong to put little kids in a jail. I mean, are you serious! Their little kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicole K.
    Those kids that were out of control should be punished. But they shouldn't have been arrested. People get arrested for drunk driving or another "real crime", but not for kicking a teacher. I don't think that was fair.
    If i were arrested for doing anything that harmless and simple I would be very angry.That is so unfair to be that badly punished. My parents would feel the same way, they would probably do something about it. Like sue or make something like that never happen again to anybody.
    If our school or our district would operate in this manner, kids would be arrested everyday. And i don't think it would get better. Because the kids don't care if they get in trouble. It would only hurt our school, if kids get arrested our parents would get mad then they would probably sue the school district. In the end nobody is being benefited in this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Khayla P.
    1. The arrests were not made fairly, because these cases were not extreme. They were cases about kids who could not control themselves.
    2. I would react to that buy asking them what was so wrong about burping. I would not stop asking. My parents would be shocked and keep asking, "What was so bad about burping in class, it's natural?"
    3. If our school kept acting in this manner we would become a military or prison school. We wouldn't be able to learn, we would be afraid of our actions. It would hurt our school greatly it would scare students and make them not want to go to school. The school district would look bad as a whole students would rebel. It would be a lot worse than it is. If students are rebelling against dress code what would happen if they rebel against this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The arrests were completely unfair! In the first case, this is a SIX-YEAR-OLD kid here, okay? If that six-year-old is misbehaving, then you, (meaning Mr. Principal,) should be able to handle it. It's not like he was armed! The fact that the school called the police is totally unjust. You call his parents, after making him behave. There is no reason to charge him for battery though. The principal needs to take full responsibility for totally overreacting, you need to remember he is not even out of elementary school yet..
    In the second case, once again there are kids, (still in elementary school,) The fact that these kids, three nine-year-old girls and a eight-year-old boy were HANDCUFFED is totally outrageous! They were put in a holding cell! And the parents weren't even called until the kids arrived at the station. One, these police officers are kooks. These are little kids! You do not put them in a holding cell with a fourteen/fifteen-year-old boy! I would be SEETHING. Even the principal apologized for the unnecessary and unregulated arrest. I mean, I totally get that people who misbehave need and deserve consequences. But, this was unnecessary and blown out of proportion. This is not following state regulations! For 12 hours?! These kids; good or bad, should not have that severe of a punishment. I.S.S. or suspension would be better, along with a trip to the counselor. They should not be convicted! Just a tad bit scared and warned about the severity if it happens again. If that was my kid, I would go insane. And I would definitely sue.

    If I, was arrested for a simple mistake like drawing on my desk, or burping, I would be totally annoyed. I'd still be respectful to the officers, but you better believe that I would find a way out of any trouble. My parents would totally freak out and probably sue the school.

    If our school began to operate in that manner, it would be, "buh-bye," to half our grade. To be honest though, I think it might help and hurt our schools community. Certain people need severe punishment like that, but not everyone needs a punishment that's quite so severe. Our school district would benefit from this, but I think it really just comes down to each person's individual situation. You can't make such a rash decision so quickly. I wouldn't press charges immediately unless the situation required me to do so. Overall, I think it could have it's benefits, but it could also cause rebellion. I think it might be better, but it all comes down to the individual circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrs. May that last comment was mine!!!!
    -Alexis Trippon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellison F.

    I feel the arrests were necessary but could have been done in a better manner. Children can still be criminals even if they are young, so no matter what officers have to take caution. I also agree though that they should not have hand cuffed them and acted like it was such a big deal when no one was hurt or killed during the so called "crime".

    If I was arrested for a outrageous reason like that I would be furious. Getting arrested because of that doesn't seem right... I would think about suing. And I'm sure my parents would feel the same way I would feel if not even more furious.

    If our school became to operate in this manner there would be many complaints from parents probably. I think it could help and hurt though. It would help because it would keep everyones act together and people would behave better. It would hurt or school though by creating tension between students and teachers and it could cause some outbreaks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alex M.
    1. I think that the arrests were unfair because these are children whose actions were unacceptable but the police shouldn't of been involved. The parents should have been notified immediantly.
    2. I would be shocked because little mistakes shouldn't have huge consequences. My mom would be upset and take matters into her own hands to fix the situation.
    3. It would hurt our school community because kids would change schools and or act out on purpose. If the district operated in that manner it would be a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sebastian B.

    The arrests made on these kids were certainly not fair. These kids are only in elementary school, and they are being punished as if they were adults. They are young kids that are still becoming better people, by learning from their mistakes.

    I would be angry and confused if I were to be arrested for something as simple as burping or drawing on a desk. We are just young kids trying to grow up, and part of growing up is making mistakes, so we certainly shouldn't be put in jail for something that occurs naturally. All parents would certainly agree that no kid should be arrested for simple mistakes that kids will make while growing up.

    If our school district were to operate like this, then at first it would seem like a good thing. Kids would definetly learn their lesson after spending a few hours in jail, but then it goes down hill. Kids would start to get scared of just being themselves, and making simple mistakes. They would never want to do something in their own way, because they are afraid to make mistakes. It would hurt our school community and destroy our district. Kids would be living a life of fear, not creativeness or happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jack C
    Well I think these cases are rediculas that police are wasting there time arresting kids instead of real criminals that actually harm society. I feel like what these kids did is not something to freak out about. Shur it's rude but not rude enough were you have to call the cops. If I got arrested for something like that I would love to take the case to court to see what they say. My parents would defiantly back me up on this. If my school ever done this I would hold a student protest to get rid of this

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that it is fair because assault is a crime, the students were fighting each other. In the case I were to e arrested for burping then it would be unfair because burping is something you can't control. My parents would be angry at the school not me as would I. If our school arrested people for assault then it would be fair but if they arrested for burping and drawing and such, I would change schools

    Evan B.

    ReplyDelete
  17. C.Siroky
    1.) These crisis's that are happening around our country, are totally unfair.Children as young as six years old are being handcuffed and arrested for doing silly things. These young children don't know any better. Honestly they are just learing to read and write. What are school officials and police officers thinking by sending little children to jail without informing their parents.
    2.)If I was arrested in class just for burping, I would be furious. Every person in the world burps at least once a day. School officials and police officers need to realize this, and fast. Another thing is if I was drawing on a school desk with erasable marker and I got arrested, I would be so shocked. My parents would be so upset with the school for a foolish thing that could just be removed with a shirt sleeve.
    3.)If these crisis's started to happen in the SBISD schools, tons of parents would be furious. I would start a protest if I saw students being escorted out of school by a police officer. These crisis's would destroy the school community and districts as a whole. Students would start fleeing from the SBISD district to find a more acceptable school community.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Meredith A.

    I think that these arrests, were most definitely not fair. For doing something as simple as asking a question, or burping I would just ignore it or tell them to please quiet down. And maybe for drawing on a desk or dropping food on the ground a lunch detention, but being arrested, and taken away in handcuffs, and kept in a cell is way to far. If I were arrested for burping or drawing on a desk with an ERASABLE marker, I would be scared of such a consequence but I would be upset and angry that people are taking such drastic measures. Also, I think that my parents would be even more upset by this than me, I think that they would be very angry that such a large punishment was put on such a minor crime if you could even call it that. If our school began to do this I think that people and parents would be very enraged by this course of action. I think it would hurt our community and it would make evrything that anyone does look bad to a police officer, if you and your friend are talking in the middle of class "oh they won't shut up, thats all right I'll arrest them!" I think this would bring a very bad image upon the school.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Patrick B.
    This is not fair. They don't know what they're doing yet because they haven't matured yet. If this happened to me, my parents and I would be so mad and they would withdraw me from that school and put me in another one. This would hurt both the school and the community and it will just get worse unless the school would actually wake up and realize that this is very wrong

    ReplyDelete
  20. david c
    I think it is very wrong that these kids are being treated like adults. Childeren shouldnt have to go through the trauma of being handcuffed in front of their peers. The thinngs that these children did are insagnifigant compared to what other kids aredoing. If this happened to me i would be very upset and wonder why the did this. if our school did this i would probably leave and be mad.

    ReplyDelete