Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bullying: A Harsh Reality

Everyday we are encountered with bullying. As students and adults, this is a problem that doesn't seem to go away. The new movie "Bully" is a documentary film that highlights the deeply rooted problems that victims of bullying suffer. We discussed bullying during our unit on persuasion, and watched many public service announcements geared towards raising awareness of the problem.

Watch the video trailer below for the movie "Bully" and leave your comments on the trailer. Feel free to discuss any emotions that you felt while watching the trailer. Then, answer the question: If you could give advice to a victim of bullying or to a bully, what would you say and why?

21 comments:

  1. Kristina T.
    Watching the trailer made me feel very mad at the fact that bullying goes on that bad in our society. If I could give advice to a victim of bullying it would be this: Hang in there. Don't let the bully's words get to you. They are NOT true! Don't be afraid or embarrassed to tell someone about the bully. In fact, you should tell an adult everything immediately. If I could give any advice to the bully, it would be this: Back off. It's none of your business to be messing with anyone. You think it makes you look cool? Well it doesn't. What you're doing is really hurting who you're doing it to, and it's probably going to leave lifelong scars. So just stop, because one day what you are doing will come back and bite you in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith A.
    I was nearly brough to tears when I first saw the trailer for this movie. I also believe that bullying is a huge problem that is flying under the radar. I am very happy to see that someone is finally taking the action that is needed, but sadly to make people take the large course of action several people had to take their lives.
    If I could give a bully some advice I would tell them to stop taking their anger out on innocent people and find other ways to deal with their problems, wheather that is to get a therapist or take up a sport. They need to find a way to deal with their issues that doesn't hurt others around them. Also, if I could give advice to someone who is being bullied, I would tell them that they should not be ashemed or afraid to tell an adult or let someone know, because just doing that could stop the bullying and save their life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zachary O.
    The video made me feel sorry for the people who have and are being bullied. No one should have to go through that kind of pain. The advice I would give to a bully is, you could bully this person but wouldn't be better to treat someone the way you would like to be treated. The person who is hurting the most is YOU and YOU have the power to change that. I would also ask them, what if it was a member of your family and how would it make them feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hunter G.
    I would give advice to the bully. I would ask him how he would feel if someone else was bullying him. Would he want to be called bad names, would he want to be picked on, and would he like having no friends? Then I would tell him to treat others the way he would like to be treated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexis T.
    The beginning of this trailer is really heartbreaking and sad, but it also inspires you to go make a difference.
    If I could give any advice to a kid suffering with bullying, I would say just never give up on yourself and if a problem starts to get serious, tell an adult. Telling someone in charge that you are being threatend doesn't make you a wimp. It makes you smart enough to realize you can't do it on your own. And please don't even consider taking your life. Think not only of your life cut short, but of the people around you, and your parents that love you with all thier heart.
    And as far as bullying being ignored; it is. And the adults need to realize it. My brother has been bullied this past year, and even with tons of proof, the counselor didn't do anything. Not to mention this, "No place for hate!" Everyone in elementry school, and middle school makes fun of it. If I could talk to someone being bullied, I would want to be really nice, and make them feel better after all the bad stuff that's happend.
    I hope people watch this movie, and realize that this IS an achievable goal. And,that making fun of someone isn't, "FUNNY," at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Advice to victim-Speak out to an adult or someone you can trust to get help. Don't just let yourself get bullied, stand up for yourself.

    Advice to bully- Ask yourself why you are deciding to hurt someone and potentially force them to take their own life? Its wrong and has serious consequences. Think twice before you do something and put yourself in they're shoes.

    Alex M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noah L. it is really hard to think of advice to give to victim's of bullying because it is really hard for me to put myself in their shoes. but if i had to give them advice it would be a couple of things; do the things that you love the most like hobbies and stuff so you can have fun. also, get into a good group of friends that will accept you for who you are and lastly don't be afraid of reporting anything that happens to you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica H.
    This video made me want to change kids in the world and do something about bullying. It is sad and I wish things like this didn't happen.

    I would tell a bully that they are hurting others and that they should treat others the way they would want to be treated. They are making others sad for no reason. I would advice them to go to group therapy because then they could let their feelings out without hurting others on the way.

    I would tell the ones being bullied to tell an adult or teacher because they can stop the bully and all the bullying would stop. They could tell the adult and the adult would settle the problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimmy C.
    Watching this video made me feel really sad. It's terrible to see an innocent person getting hurt by a bully. I think no one should have go through this awful situation. If I were to give advice to a victim of bullying I would tell them to ignore them. If the bully continues to bully them they should tell an adult immediatly especially their parents, since they can not read their minds. I would also tell them that they are special no matter what other people say and that they are very brave for having to deal with the bullies all day!
    The advice I would give the bully would be to leave them alone. They might alreasy have problems at home and your just making them worse! I would also say that they should stop it because no one wants to be friends with a person who hurts people physically and emotionally!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vanessa R.
    I have to admit this video made me cry, and yes im going to watch it. And hopefully all the bullies and the victims will watch it too.

    To me bullying is the most cruelest thing a kid has to go through. Just imagine watching your bestfriend, or your child committing suicide. How the parent has to feel, and the friend. But mostley the bully. The one who made all that happen. they don't even relize it untill the victum kills himself/herself. it makes me heart broken when i hear on the news or on the internet that there was another suicidle from bullying. And what ticks me off is that the important people and some schools dont even do a thing. They think theres no problem but in reality kids ages 11-16 or even older are committing suicide from bullying.

    The advice i would give to the bully would be, just stop. your only creating another family who has to live there lives full of sorrow, and your going to live the rest of your life feeling the guilt of you bullying the victim who committed suicide. If you have problems at home or somthing else, you should really try to go to therapy and not take it out on them. And also bullying doesn't make you look cool and tough, so just stop.

    The advice i would give to the victim would be, keep your head up. Don't let that so called cool, tough kid loser get to you. Tell an adult or teacher that their bullying you to much at a point you can't handle, or it might be better to switch schools. One day were going to stop that bully nonsense, so dont feel like you have to take your own life because it's too much. It's not worth it, leaving your family behind. Just stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I was giving advice to the kid who was being bullied, I would tell them to not let it affect them.They should tell a teacher or a trusted adult, don't just take it, stand up for yourself. Also know that they're not really bullying you because you're different or whatever it is they say, they do it cause they want to feel better about themselves, because bullies think that if they're sad and miserable, others have to be too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sebastian B.

    While watching this trailer I felt really sad, knowing that all around the world, every single day, people were being bullied to the point that they wanted wanted to end their life.
    If I could say anything to a bully, I would tell him/her to stop making yourself feel better, by making other kids feel worse. I would ask them what they would do when the kid kills themselves, and it would be all their fault? How could they possibly go on with their life knowing that it was their fault a kid had killed themselves.
    If I could give some advice to someone that is being bullied, I would tell them that no matter what anybody says or does, it is not worth taking your own life. If it gets to the point that you don't want to live anymore, then they need to tell their parents. You have a whole life ahead of you, and you shouldn't just end it because of some stupid bully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Madison M.
    I would give advice to the victim. I would say to tell somebody or to confront the bully. Tell a parent or teacher about the bullying. If it doesn't stop, don't give up.

    I would also give advice to the bully too. What would make you think that you could treat someone lower than you. You should take an outlook on the way you are treating people and put yourself in their shoes. You should wonder how they feel when they get home. If you are a bully, you don't know the victim. They could be going through a lot, and you don't know their situation at home. So in general, If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ellison F.
    I think this video really helps people really get a good understanding of how damaging bullyig can really be.

    I would tell a victim of bullying to notify an adult or someone who can help you with the situation that they're in. To not be afraid to talk to someone about it, I'm sure there are people out there who care what victims of bullying have to say. People shouldn't have to put up with this. Stand up for yourself.

    I would tell a bully to really think about how they're making someone feel. To Put themselves in a victims shoes for change. You don't want to be the one to live with the burdon of being the reason someone has taken their own life or be permantely damaged. It's just insane how people are getting so bullied that they feel like they have to take their OWN life in order to get away from it, and its because of YOU.
    Bullying just needs to stop, not one thing is right about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blake

    I would give the bully advice and tell him to look what he has done to that kid.I would ask if he would like to be treated like that and also I would tell an adult so they could do something before the victim of bullying got hurt.If I could tell the victim something, I would tell him that nothing that a bully says or does is worth taking your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nicole K.
    Watching this trailer made me feel bad for who has been bullied by a bully.And who ever has been bullied so bad that they would take their own life. If I could give advice to a victim of bullying, I would tell him/her to tell the bully to back off. Or if he/she is to scared to do that. I would tell him/her to tell a close adult. So the adult could tell the bully to back off. Bullying needs to stop in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Patrick B.
    I felt like I needed to fix the problem immediately. I would tell a victim to completely ignore what the bully is saying or doing something to that victim and to not commit suicide just because someone is saying a fews bad about the victim. If it still continues, then immediately report it to an adult who that person trusts very well. For a bully, It would first ask that person why he or she is doing this. Then I would ask him or her how it would feel if the bully got picked on or bullied. I would also give the bully advice on how to be friendly with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. David C I would tell the bully how the if he was bullied. i also would tell the bully to treat others the like he would want to be treated.For the victim, the only thing you can do is tell you teacher and your parents. Stand up for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jack c
    I would tell the bullies that it's is not cool to bully and also to grow up a little bit
    I would tell the ones being bullied to never take your own life because of being bullied, it can be fixed

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen S.
    Bullying has been going on many years and people just ignore it when its going on all of the time. I think that this movie will make a difference.
    - one thing that I would say to a bullying victim is that they should stand up for themselves and should go talk to a trusted adult.
    - one thing that I would say to a bully is that they should stop doing what their doing because one day their going to end up saying something really harsh to some kid and that kid will end up killing themselves and that blood will be on your hands and you will have to live with that for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. George c. this trailer made me feel sad but mad because it just makes you feel like you have to do something about it. its truly incredible how this problem exsist in our soceity because thousands of kids have taken their own lifes away because of these horrible people.1 also if i gave advice to one of these victims is that they shouldnt be scared to tell a teacher or parent because that one other person can make the difference in that problem

    ReplyDelete